I know I said I was taking a break from blogging, but now I’m taking a break from taking a break. I have been sufficiently enraged/inspired by recent events to not only dust off ye ol’ blogging keyboard, but also to outline and finish chapter one of my new book! I think anyone who likes my blogging or other writing is really going to like this because…you’re my mom and you have to hahaha. Well, and also because I KNOW what I’m going to be talking about is going to be really good for you to hear. The gist of it is, I am going to be writing to/for/about kickassy women who are in the process of overcoming or who have already overcome the usual crap that life throws at us and also the extra special crap that pops up from time to time. However, I am not going to be approaching this from the perspective of ‘here’s how you, too, can evolve into perfection’, because honestly who needs THAT pressure! I’m taking more of an approach of hey…here’s what I’ve learned about sweating the small stuff, getting through the big stuff, and enjoying life WAY more than I ever thought I would or probably have a right to. There are some things that are already on my heart to address specifically:
- Why so many amazing women accept crumbs in work and relationships and how we can get over that
- Why being happy and supporting YOU doesn’t take away from ME
- Why ‘Leading like a Girl’ at work is not only highly effective, it’s also actually fun.
- How to figure out your calling and operate in your gifts without necessarily completely disrupting your life, moving to a dangerous country, or bankrupting yourself with educational investments (although I wouldn’t rule anything out)
- How saying Yes and No at the right times and places can completely change your life for the better
- How I’m learning to be gentle with myself when it comes to health, fitness, body positivity, and rampant perfectionism, and why I think regular exercise is non-negotiable for women who want to kick metaphorical and/or literal ass
- How becoming a parent completely changed my philosophy of employment, leadership, life, oh, and parenting
I’m excited to be working on a project that has absolutely nothing to do with politics because honestly just going through my various feeds lately is giving me extra frowny lines, which I so don’t need. I have been privileged to know so many awesome women in my life, but the crazy-in-a-not-good-way is that probably NONE of them will self-identify as awesome! My totally kickassy group of friends, family, sisters, etc self-describe as:
- Feeling like something’s missing
- Terrible Mother
- Mediocre Wife
Reading this list, it sounds like maybe I just need new friends! But no, that’s the thing. NONE Of these things are true…they’re just the stories we tell ourselves that allow us to hide our awesomeness from even ourselves (because deep down, don’t we all kinda secretly fear that if we shine too brightly, someone’s going to…gasp…get mad at us?)
So, for all you, kickassy, boring, average, overwhelmed, flaky, exhausted, scared, failing, skinny, fat, angry, frustrated, stressed, overwhelmed, terrible moms, mediocre wives out there; I’m saying you ROCK!
I want to write about how we do it, why we do it, and what we need help with, and why it’s so stinking hard to ask. I want to write about our successes, our struggles, and most importantly, how each of us can stomp that cookie cutter into bits and embrace our awesome, kickassy, perfectly imperfect selves.
Are you with me?
Then let’s start connecting! I want to hear what you think about this!!
As the book grows, I’ll be sending updates and invites to fun discussions…sign up here to be kept in the know.
Please share to all the kickassy women you know!